Skip to main content

WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU'RE GOING UNDER


Matthew 14:28-31

Peter said to him, “Lord, if it is you, order me to come to you on the water.” Jesus said, “Come Peter". Peter got out of the boat, walked on the water, and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind he became afraid and starting to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?”

Peter was the only one who stepped boldly out of the boat by faith, but he also wavered in it when he looked away. He was walking well until he took his eyes off of Jesus and focused on the high waves around him. How many times have we been like Peter? We may not walk on water today, but we do walk through some tough situations. If we look and focus on our circumstances without looking to Jesus for help, we too will begin to sink. At times our faith will falter and we'll doubt, but it doesn't mean that we've failed. So, "What do we do when we begin to go under"? We cry out to Jesus! When Peter’s faith wavered, he cried out to Christ for help, even though he was afraid. Faith grows through various tests as we continue to trust our Lord and He continues to teach us.

Jesus knows that we will have fears at times. But in spite of those fears, He commands us... “Don't be afraid", Isaiah 41:10 and when we're trying to obey that command, willpower alone just doesn't cut it. We can try to suppress our fearful thoughts, but they just keep popping up, like a ball held under water. Zechariah 4:6 reminds us... " 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the Lord Almighty."

When fear tries to take over, God reminds me that by His very spirit that dwells within me, I can rebuke satan in His name. I've learned to give my fears to God immediately, to let them go and let God handle them for me. Sometimes, I fear the safety of our kids or then there's the fear of being hurt again by a loved one. Because let's face it, it sucks getting hurt! But I'm never going to be in control, only God is and the fact that He goes before me in every detail of my life brings me His peace that surpasses all things! Amen!!!

A few questions to meditate on... 

1. What are your fears today?
Your husband or wife's salvation? A teenager or adult child that walked away from God? The upbringing of little ones? Starting over after a divorce? Never being married? Someone you love hurting you again? Having another baby after losing one? School? A new job? Finances? A sick loved one? How about death? Only you and God know what they are and acknowledging them is the first step.

2. In what areas of your life do you need the most help in? Pray, talk to God. He knows you best and wants to hear from you.

3. What "Waves" and "Winds" are distracting you today from walking focused with Jesus? The waves and winds would be the ones you answered in #1. Let's redirect our focus from them to Jesus.


When fear tries to bring you down...  

1. Cry out to Jesus. Psalms 34:4- I went to the Lord for help. He listened and saved me from all that I fear.

2. Hold firmly to Gods Word. Psalm 119:105- Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

3. Cast your cares on Him. Psalm 55:22 - Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you.

4. Confess your inability and Gods ability to remove your fears. Philippians 4:13 -I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.

5. Confide in a trusted friend. Have strong accountability. James 5:16 - Pray for one another.

Brothers, Sisters... Fears will come and go in our lives, but the key is not to allow them to paralyze us. The Lord is Good!!! He turns our fears into faith! He takes us broken vessels, cracked and marred only to remold and reshape us All for His Glory ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Years Blessed

Today, I get to celebrate 50 years of life! Praise God!  I made it into the 50 club!  We’ve all had days (and maybe even years) when life just doesn’t seem to be going our way! I’ve had long seasons of life where I felt like nothing was working and everything was out of whack, and I’ve had frustrating days where I just can’t seem to get anything accomplished. But... This morning I rejoiced in the company of my loving family. They knew my heart was especially tender this birthday because it is a milestone and I am missing my Dad. I would love to receive his call and hear his raspy voice sing into my heart, to have him hug me tight, and to read one of his loving and heartfelt bday cards one more time, but the reality is that I am not going to. But I Praise God that I have the hope of heaven. And as my beautiful family woke me up with balloons, birthday cards, hugs and kisses, and prayed over me, I was quickly reminded that no matter what our circumstances are -- I get to l

My Trip to Wal-Mart Turns Into A Personal Touch From Jesus

I wanted to share an experience I had today as an encouragement to you, that God is always listening to our heart and speaks to us in many different ways. Today, as I'm walking and praying, headed towards my van at Wal-Marts parking lot, this beautiful, joyful looking, yellow butterfly begins flying around me a few times. Shortly thereafter, I begin to specifically pray for the Holy Spirit to confirm certain heart concerned prayers I've been praying over; to include His infinite wisdom, direction and strength upon me.  I prayed, Lord, would You kindly have this beautiful yellow, joyful, looking butterfly fly its way back towards me again. Thank You Abba. Amen. It's like I needed a sign. You know what I mean? Ever been there? Sometimes you just need a double dosage of the Holy Spirit. So anyway, I drive off, still praying and as I come to the red stop light, guess who flies right in front of my windshield? I mean literally in front of me, circling around with it

Unbroken

Today, I finally got to see the movie, "Unbroken" with my friend, Jo Ann. This movie, touched my heart in a special and profound way. I left the theater wanting to lift up a block of wood, put it over my head and scream from the bottom of my lungs! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  Here's the thing, we will always face trials, it's part of growing in our faith. And there may be times, you wonder how much longer Lord? But try to find the joy in your trials, because God is in control. I love true story films, especially faith based ones. Such a refreshment to my spirit of who God is. He is, a loving God who forgives, saves, heals, comforts, provides, equips and so many other things. When you may feel like He's not working in your situation, He really is, because He's faithful. I enjoy to see the end of the movies, where they show the true identities of the persons the film was created from. Mr. Louie Zamperini, was a great example of not giving up. I'm pe